Design and deploy a process to create a regional Energy Plan and Strategy, beginning with establishing a regional energy baseline, to meet the region's energy needs while creating abundance in economic opportunity, social equity, and environmental quality.
Establish a plan, drive innovation, mitigate impacts, foster economic and community prosperity, measure progress and secure the region's place as a leader in forging a smart energy future.
- Develop a fact-based, baseline regional assessment of energy flows to:
- Establish a quantified and foundational understanding of energy production, use, and outcomes in the Power of 32 region
- Provide a shared framework and basis for identifying region-specific energy issues, opportunities, and needs
- Provide a macro level dataset to catalyze an inclusive stakeholder process to identify priorities to be addressed in a Regional Energy Plan & Strategy
- Establish an initial baseline against which to track progress
- Develop a leadership group to design, develop, and deploy a regional process to create a regional energy plan and strategy.
- Conduct a kick-off event on December 11, 2014:
Energy for the Power of 32: 32 Counties, 4 States, 1 Energy Future
Establishing a baseline and catalyzing a regional energy plan and strategy
Regional Process led by 16 institutions (with staffing by Sustainable Pittsburgh):
- Allegheny Conference on Community Development
- Carnegie Mellon University, Scott Institute for Energy Innovation and Steinbrenner Institute for Environmental Education and Research
- Center for Energy, University of Pittsburgh
- Center for Energy and Sustainable Development at the WVU College of Law
- Center for Energy Policy and Management, Washington & Jefferson College
- Duquesne MBA Sustainability Program
- Falk School of Sustainability, Chatham University
- Green Building Alliance
- Institute of Politics, University of Pittsburgh
- Pennsylvania Environmental Council
- Power of 32
- Southwestern Pennsylvania Commission
- Sustainable Pittsburgh
- West Virginia University
"The baseline and the Energy for the Power of 32 event begin to create an awareness of the important role of regions as the most relevant a geography to address energy issues."
Energy for the Power of 32: 32 Counties, 4 States, 1 Energy Future http://www.energy4p32.org/